PTECH, 9/11, and USA-SAUDI TERROR - Part I
PROMIS Connections to Cheney Control of
9/11 Attacks Confirmed
With research assistance by Michael Kane
and editorial comment by Michael C. Ruppert
© Copyright 2005, From The Wilderness Publications, www.fromthewilderness.com. All Rights Reserved. This story may NOT be posted on any Internet web site without express written permission. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. May be circulated, distributed or transmitted for non-profit purposes only.
FTW: You said at the 9/11 Citizens' Commission hearings, you mentioned - it's on page 139 of transcript - that Ptech was with Mitre Corporation in the basement of the FAA for 2 years prior to 9/11 and their specific job was to look at interoperability issues the FAA had with NORAD and the Air Force, in case of an emergency.
Indira Singh: Yes, I have a good diagram for that.
FTW: And that relationship had been going on mediated by Ptech for 2 years prior to 9/11. You elsewhere say that the Secret Service is among the government entities that had a contract with Ptech. Mike Ruppert's thesis in Crossing the Rubicon, as you know, is that the software that was running information between FAA & NORAD was superseded by a parallel, subsuming, version of itself that was being run by the Secret Service on state of the art parallel equipment in the PEOC with a nucleus of Secret Service personnel around Cheney. In your view, might it have been the case that Cheney was using Ptech to surveil the function of the people in FAA & NORAD who wanted to do their jobs on 9/11, and then intervene to turn off the legitimate response?
Indira Singh: Is it possible from a software point of view? Absolutely it's possible. Did he (Cheney) have such a capability? I don't know. But that's the ideal risk scenario - to have an overarching view of what's going on in data. That's exactly what I wanted for JP Morgan. You know what's ironic about this - I wanted to take my operational risk blueprint which is for an operational event going wrong and I wanted to make it generic for extreme event risk to surveil across intelligence networks. What you're describing is something that I said, 'boy if we had this in place maybe 9/11 wouldn't have happened.' When I was going down to DARPA and getting these guys excited about creating an extreme event risk blueprint to do this, I'm thinking of doing exactly what you're saying Cheney might have already had!
I believe that Dick Cheney also had the ability using evolutions of the PROMIS software, to penetrate and override any other radar computer or communications system in the government.
- Mike Ruppert, in "Summation: Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury," from Crossing The Rubicon, p.592
[Few have grasped the overall long-term significance of the saga of PROMIS software and what it has become. When I reported on it in October 2000, after meeting with and assisting members of the RCMP's National Security Staff I was aware that - in terms of secret technologies - PROMIS and its evolutions were the lynchpin of every new military, scientific and financial advance being pursued by the US government and corporate sector. PROMIS progeny have become the "operating system" underlying data management and data mining for every major technology under development in all arenas of technological advance from medicine, to finance, to surveillance, to battlefield Command, Control and Communications or C3.
In the long ordeal to secure a publisher for Crossing the Rubicon, my agent and I went through a number of publishers who expressed keen interest in the book. The problem was that almost every one we dealt with came back to us and said, "We'd like to publish the book but we need for you to remove certain things." By a great margin, it was our chapter on PROMIS and my many subsequent references to it that appeared to be public enemy number one for mainstream publishers (most owned by multi-national corporations).
By definition, PROMIS progeny are the backbone of a current DoD plan to develop a "Godlike" view of all human (or battlefield) activity from space. They are also inherently a part of the data processing being envisioned for advanced space weapons requiring machines to think as they share data in virtual real time. MIT in a recent scientific publication titled "Space Weapons: Crossing the US Rubicon"(a possible tip of the hat to my book) described a number of capabilities to which FTW referred in our October 2000 story on PROMIS, including a statement that space is "the ultimate high ground."
The MIT article also contains a reference to one of the greatest fears expressed by all who wonder what hidden technologies might be making the Neocons so brazen in their attempts at bullying the world into submission: "On the other hand, the prospect of weapons in orbit-poised to strike anywhere on the globe at any time-has elicited vigorous opposition, both in the United States and abroad."45 The Neocons have placed their faith in technologies we have only begun to evaluate and discuss, and this is an area needing much additional research by authentic journalists.
Iran is a much more industrialized and automated nation than the ruin and rubble of Iraq. What if Donald Rumsfeld believed that he could use computers through the Internet to turn off all of the power generating stations supplying Tehran? What if Dick Cheney could shut down all of the computerized pumping, pipeline, refining and chemical technology used to keep Iran's oil flowing to the rest of the world? This is how the American, British and Israeli elites (including corporations) think and how they plan.
All three countries have long, deep and continuous links to PROMIS software. As time passes it is beginning to appear that PROMIS is literally what made possible not only 9/11, but everything that has followed since and what is being planned.
Recently the New York Times published a story about how the US military was envisioning a costly new "Internet" in space to control all military operations worldwide, calling it a "God's-eye view" of battle. Called Global Information Grid or GIG, this new platform performs the exact functions we described in an FTW article more than four years ago. Then we were called delusional conspiracy theorists. Four years later we are shown to have been right on the money.
Giant, expensive technology programs like SDI and GIG are sometimes neither wasteful porkbarrels nor the actual instruments that are presented to the public; instead, they are some third thing nobody knows about. This is the way large black projects are funded.
Total Information Awareness or TIA, an Orwellian nightmare of data mining that uses PROMIS-evolved technologies and artificial intelligence, is now operating and able to incorporate vastly divergent data bases of personal information on private citizens from computer systems using different languages in near-real-time. Every bit of personal information from grocery shopping habits to driving records, credit reports, credit card transactions and medical records is now almost instantly accessible. Access will be expedited and broadened to local law enforcement agencies when what will become a national ID card comes into being. That will happen as driver's licenses are standardized nationwide (following the recent intelligence reform act) to include a simple UPC-like code that will allow approved agencies to get all of our data. The surveillance and intervention capabilities of PROMIS progeny can now be used to prohibit a credit card purchase or (soon) prevent someone from boarding a commercial aircraft. These capabilities could also be used to empty a private bank account or - when coupled with biometric face recognition technology - prevent you from making a withdrawal from your bank or even buying food.
In every one of these software applications there are two themes: machines that "talk" to each other and artificial intelligence. (Please see Crossing the Rubicon). As you will see below, these capabilities are now known to exist.
TIA has been renamed several times. We know that the first software was delivered to the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) in 2003. Its latest nom de guerre is TIE or Trusted Information Environment. According to the San Francisco Chronicle last October TIE now allows the government to access private databases without a warrant. I go one step further to assert that TIE allows access to private databases without the knowledge of the database owners, provided only one condition exists: the database can be accessed through the internet.
And although the public face of TIA pretends that these technologies have not yet been applied, we are certain with the publication of this story that the same software the government needs is already in use by private corporations - the big ones - and we remind the reader that FTW's map of the world states that the government has been turned into a franchise operation of these corporations anyway. So where's the seam?
What the courageous and brilliant Indira Singh has to tell us is a matter of monumental importance. Based upon these new revelations which confirm what I suggested in Crossing the Rubicon every American and quite likely every citizen of an industrialized nation should assume that all of these technologies are operational today. A bit of breathing room is left as I conclude that they have not been sufficiently deployed yet to monitor all citizens in real time. My best assumption is that right now perhaps a million or so high-interest Americans are under constant surveillance; all by computer technology which has proven so accurate that it can detect suspicious movements just by correlating gasoline and food purchases with bank withdrawals and utility consumption. [--MCR]
FTW readers are aware that on the morning of 9/11 NORAD was engaged in multiple war games which drew fighter jets away from the doomed airliners, and polluted air traffic control screens with false information from the exercises. One of those injected blips was the so-called "phantom Flight 11," which appeared and persisted on control screens after the war games had been aborted.1 That would require exactly the kind of technology that Ptech (with whom Singh did business) and its partner Mitre had been providing to each of the three agencies involved: the FAA, NORAD, and - most significantly for Dick Cheney that morning - the Secret Service. In other words, one of the most central arguments in the Rubicon's case has just been independently validated. (See Part II)
In this electrifying timeline-driven report, Wall Street whistleblower Indira Singh lays out the connections between the providers of this advanced software (derived from the PROMIS software stolen from the Inslaw corporation in the 1980s by the US Justice Department and others) and the network of terrorist financing (sustained with US blessing) that has pervaded U.S covert operations for years. That deep-political relationship is at its strongest in the Bush administration, whose Saudi and Pakistani ties go back decades.
Dick Cheney, James Baker, GHWB, Dubya, and the people in and around the once and future American ruling junta have financially live links to the Muslim Brotherhood milieu that formed part of BCCI and, more recently, al Qaeda (this is also the context of a fascinatingly influential relationship among Kermit Roosevelt, GHWB, and Adnan Khashoggi). Nazis and their admirers are the third piece in the triangle, connected to Islamists since the Muslim Brotherhood's creation in 1928 by Hitler ally Hasam al-Banna, and connected to the Bush clan through decades of interdependence with American oil and intelligence elites - including the Rockefellers (Standard Oil) and the Harrimans (Brown Bros. Harriman / Kellogg Brown and Root / Halliburton).2
Viewed in this context, the Ptech story is a chilling reminder that this network is still in charge; that it facilitated the 9/11 attacks that murdered thousands and destroyed the health of thousands more; and that "our" American defenses against sabotage are woefully dependent upon the goodwill of saboteurs (both foreign and domestic). - JAH]
January 20, 2005, 0900 PST (FTW) - In 1995 Indira Singh started working on Wall Street (around the corner from the WTC) as a Senior Enterprise Architecture Consultant for JP Morgan. When the company was purchased by Chase Manhattan Bank in January 2001, Singh moved from enterprise architecture to a related part of Morgan's IT operations: the Operational Risk Management (ORM) group.3 ORM is the informational part of bank security, in which sophisticated software is engineered and deployed to detect malfeasance - especially money-laundering, rogue trading, and accounting fraud.4 Since the spectacular collapse of BCCI in 1991, a decade of bank failures had shown the terrible importance of such surveillance and intervention capability. At JP Morgan Chase, Singh worked on the next generation of risk software, whose function, according to Singh, was "to think about all the information going on throughout the enterprise as bank business was being conducted worldwide… If it spotted something, it would be able to react by notifying an intelligent agent or actually stop what was happening in real time."5
In the wrong hands, such a program could have disastrous political and financial implications. From The Wilderness has published several stories about PROMIS software, the robust datamining program whose theft by the Justice Department has occasioned decades of international legal and illegal maneuvering. PROMIS is also the subject of a chapter in Crossing The Rubicon, because it took on geopolitical importance when a group of criminals connected to US intelligence modified PROMIS and sold it to foreign intelligence agencies in multiple countries as far back as the early 80s. There, it acted as a back door through which intelligence agencies stole proprietary and national-security information from those countries and dumped it into US computers. That was before artificial intelligence. In the twenty years since PROMIS was developed, artificial intelligence (AI) has potentiated such datamining programs in astonishing ways.
Half of Crossing The Rubicon is about 9/11; the other half is about the surrounding system of deep political alliances, terrorism, narcotraffic, money laundering, bank fraud, and information technology (PROMIS) that made it possible. Following where her Ptech experience led, Singh came face to face with the monster behind a half-century of criminally funded rightwing militarism.
The Ptech story is a crucial piece of 9/11 because the software was used to simultaneously coordinate the FAA with NORAD and the Secret Service. But it transcends 9/11 because that terror attack is continuous with preceding decades of violent Islamic extremism epitomized in the international Muslim Brotherhood, of which al Qaeda is only one, relatively recent, incarnation.6 Worse, the Muslim Brotherhood has from its first days been linked to the Nazi party and its Swiss neo-Nazi epigones.7 Anti-Soviet projects of the CIA and the Pentagon (from 11-22-63 to the Afghan War) have long been recognized as continuous with the absorption of Nazi SS personnel into what became the CIA.8 The connection of the Bush crime family to the political economy of the Nazi movement is familiar from the excellent work of former Justice Department Nazi war crimes prosecutor John Loftus and others.9 Its triangulation with the Bush-Saudi alliance forms a powerful explanatory paradigm - one to which FTW will be paying further attention in the sequel to this story.
The following timeline is a red thread running through the larger fabric of contemporary Rightist attacks on democracy and the rule of law. Global in scope, this milieu transcends the boundaries of nation-states just as banks and multinational corporations do; it transcends the boundaries of religions as does the conceptual purview of what is universally recognized as "fundamentalism"; and it comprehends the wide range of projects that unite every domestic political assassination in America from RFK to the latest "suicided" Enemy of the State. Such a tapestry cannot hang on the single nail of an article like this one, but if we are to understand this "warthatwillnotendinourlifetimes," we need to pick up the hammer. With the Rubicon behind us and Indira Singh at our side, we begin with her experience.
- 1985. Egyptian banker Soliman Biheiri is introduced to members of the Muslim Brotherhood.10
- March 19, 1986. The articles of incorporation for BMI, Inc. show that Soliman Biheiri forms Islamic investing firm Bait ul-Mal, Inc. (BMI). His partner in that venture is Hussein Ibrahim, BMI's Vice President from 1989 to 1995 and later chief scientist at Ptech.
- 1988. Makhtab al-Khidamat (MAK) is installed as the CIA accounting mechanism through which ISI / BCCI money moves to the Pakistani Mujaheddin. In False Profits: The Inside Story of BCCI, the World's Most Corrupt Financial Empire, Peter Truell and Larry Gurwin document the close relationship between BCCI's founder Agha Hasan Abedi, and then-CIA Director William Casey. Control of the proliferating MAK recruitment centers and training camps shifted to bin Laden when Azzam was murdered, apparently on bin Laden's orders.
- 1992. FBI agent Robert Wright begins his investigation of terrorism financing and Yassin al-Qadi.
- 1993. WTC bombing is funded in part by BMI, the BCCI-linked shell company that includes Ptech.
- 1995-2000. Indira Singh is Senior Enterprise Architecture Consultant at JP Morgan.
- April 19, 1995. The Murrah Federal Building USG complex in Oklahoma City is bombed.11
- September 1996. Ptech already working with DoD's research group, DARPA: "Ptech, based in Cambridge, Mass., offers an integrated set of object-oriented tools that enable users to create interactive blueprints of business processes. Software code can be generated from the hierarchical layout, providing rapid and consistent application development. The [Defense] Advanced Research Projects Agency is using [Ptech's program called] Framework to help transfer commercial software methodologies to the defense sector." http://www.govexec.com/archdoc/rrg96/0996rrg5.htm.
- 1998. Yassin Al-Qadi contributes $14 million to Ptech, becoming its major investor. "Those involved in this deal from Ptech Senior Management were; Mr. Oussama Ziade (CEO); Mr. Jeff Goins (VP Marketing); and Mr. Ulf Fagerquist (Technical Adviser). Also present was a key value-added reseller of Ptech software in the business architecture space that complements technology architectures, Mr. Roger Burlton. This meeting took place in Jeddah at the offices of Mr. Al Qadi, and other locations." - Indira Singh, Advisory Report on Ptech (see August 2002, below).
- August 7, 1998. "Terrorists bomb the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania. The bomb in Nairobi, Kenya kills 213 people, including 12 US nationals, and injures more than 4,500. The bomb in Dar es Salaam kills 11 and injures 85. The attack is blamed on al-Qaeda." - Paul Thompson, 911 Timeline.
- October 1998. "FBI agents Robert Wright and John Vincent are tracking a terrorist cell in Chicago, but are told to simply follow suspects around town and file reports. The two agents believe some of the money used to finance the 1998 US embassy bombings (see August 7, 1998) leads back to Chicago and Saudi multimillionaire businessman Yassin al-Qadi. Supervisors try, but temporarily fail, to halt the investigation into al-Qadi's possible terrorist connections... a supervisor prohibits Wright and Vincent from making any arrests connected to the bombings, or opening new criminal investigations." - Paul Thompson, 911 Timeline. That supervisor - named in Crossing the Rubicon - is Supervisory Special Agent David Frasca.
- 2000. Seeing the limitations of existing risk management software, Indira Singh begins to design a new, more agile program - an extremely adaptable enterprise architecture blueprint which, when integrated with sufficient AI, has applications far beyond JP Morgan's banking practices. These include Defense and Intelligence. Traditional enterprise architecture (e.g., Popkin Software) creates models; Singh wants to create a living, flexible surveillance and intervention system that can monitor an enterprise from within while coordinating it with the event risks of the changing outside world. That requires a core AI software component called an "inference engine."12
- January 2001. Chase Manhattan Bank buys JP Morgan. Indira Singh moves to Operational Risk Management group within Morgan. While developing a risk blueprint program for JP Morgan, she presents the blueprint programming idea to Interoperability Clearing House, a DARPA-funded think tank for software R&D.13 Interested potential clients include CIA, through In-Q-tel14; JP Morgan itself; and, after 9/11, persons at Dowling College's School of Aviation who have probable access to DHS funds.
- Aug. 28, 2001. Ptech CFO George Peterson Adds COO Role; Jeff Goins is promoted to General Manager, Europe; Blake Bisson joins Ptech as Vice President of Sales. Fagerquist and Goins are allegedly affiliated with a longstanding and politically potent Christian secret society called "The Fellowship" - with which Dick Cheney, John Ashcroft15 and other high US government officials16 are also affiliated. Wayne Madsen has established the involvement of the Fellowship in the rigging of the 2004 presidential election in the United States, and has linked Dick Cheney to that organization.17
- SEPTEMBER 11, 2001
- September 12, 2001. In-Q-Tel, the CIA's IT-seeking arm is holding funding hearings. Backed by Interoperability Clearing House, Indira Singh presents the "Blue Prophet" risk blueprint.18 When In-Q-Tel / CIA declines funding, Singh goes on to shop for an inference engine core and for funding.
- October 2001. In the wake of traumatizing experience on 9/11 - as a civilian EMT at Ground Zero, as a career employee in the World Trade Center, and as a resident of the neighborhood - Singh's focus on "extreme event risk" is intensified. Decides ICH are "techies" who don't really understand risk. "There was a Risk technology conference on the [WTC] 106th floor on 9/11 that my team was supposed to be at... as you can imagine that wouldn't be one for my group to miss, yet we did because I was late and had spent the previous week in DC focusing on In-Q-Tel and Blue Prophet. If I had been more focused on JPM and NY the prior week, who knows... there was free breakfast and it was Windows on the World."
- October 12, 2001. Yassin Al-Qadi is listed as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist. "The Treasury Department Press Release issued on the date of Yassin Qadi's designation as an SDGT…states that Qadi was named an SDGT on the basis that he and other well-connected Saudi citizens transferred millions of dollars to Osama bin Laden through charities and trusts like the Muwafaq Foundation… [of which] Qadi was a trustee." - Affidavit of David C. Kane, Senior Special Agent, Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. August 14, 2003.
- December 2001. Roger Burlton and others recommend Ptech to Indira.
- March 20, 2002. Under Operation Greenquest, Federal agents raid approximately 100 companies and charities operating in a single office at 555 Grove Street in Herndon, Virginia, taking hundreds of boxes of documents. Yaqub Mirza, a member of the Ptech board of directors, is a central target.19 In a major story in the conservative Weekly Standard (04/08/2002, Volume 007, Issue 29), "Wahhabis in the Old Dominion: What the federal raids in Northern Virginia uncovered," Stephen Schwartz writes:
The keystone of the Saudi-sponsored Northern Virginia network is the Saar Foundation, created by Suleiman Abdul Al-Aziz al-Rajhi, a scion of one of the richest Saudi families. The Saar Foundation is connected to Al-Taqwa, a shell company formerly based in Switzerland, where its leading figures included a notorious neo-Nazi and Islamist, Ahmed Huber. Subsequently moved to the United States, Al-Taqwa was shut down after September 11 and its assets frozen by U.S. presidential order. But operations continued, as the Wahhabi lobby shifted to its backup institutions here.
Saar has also been linked to Khalid bin Mahfouz, former lead financial adviser to the Saudi royal family and ex-head of the National Commercial Bank of Saudi Arabia. Mahfouz has been named by French intelligence as a backer of Osama bin Laden; Mahfouz endowed the Muwafaq Foundation, which U.S. authorities confirm was an arm of bin Laden's terror organization. Muwafaq's former chief, Yassin al-Qadi, oversaw the financial penetration of Bosnia-Herzegovina and Albania by Wahhabi terrorists in the late 1990s.
"Men like al-Rajhi, Mahfouz, and al-Qadi are the big players in the financing of Islamic extremism. And their paths repeatedly lead back to Northern Virginia. They don't play for small stakes: Saar received $1.7 billion in donations in 1998, although this was left out of the foundation's tax filings until 2000."
- March 2002. "Searches by FBI agents and Bosnian police in Sarajevo uncover numerous handwritten Arabic documents detailing the origin and history of the al Qaida organization. Among the recovered files is a copy of a 1988 handwritten draft listing wealthy financiers of Osama bin Laden's mujaheddin operations in Afghanistan, referred to within al Qaida as the "Golden Chain." This list contains 20 names with a parenthetical after each name, likely indicating the person who received funds from the specified donor. "Osama" appears after seven of the listings. While Ptech President Yassin al Qadi does not appear on this list, he has ties to the listed Yussef Nada20 and Golden Chain businessmen. He invested millions of dollars in BMI and funded a Turkish firm run by senior al Qaeda figures."
- April 28- May 2, 2002. In a private meeting at a conference in San Antonio, Texas,21 industry leader Dr. John Zachman suggests Singh use Ptech, citing their relationship to IBM, a strategic partner of JP Morgan Chase.
- May 2002. Dr. Hussein Ibrahim, co-founder of BMI and Ptech's chief scientist, and a delegation of other Ptech personnel come to JP Morgan at Singh's invitation, to demonstrate why Singh's blueprint project should buy Ptech software for its inference engine core. But the Ptech delegation has come to the Morgan offices unprepared, and they behave strangely: Singh's suspicions are aroused when Ibrahim offers to demonstrate the software on his laptop, using proprietary JP Morgan data. This would have compromised JPM information security and is entirely outside industry protocols ("a show-stopper"). In an adjoining room, Singh calls Roger Burlton, who runs Business Process Renewal in Vancouver. He tells her, "Don't let them out of your sight and don't let them leave with anything." Burlton recommends that she speak with Jeff Goins, a former Ptech employee. Goins informs Singh that Saudi terror financier Yassin Al Qadi is an investor in Ptech. Al Qadi claims to have met Dick Cheney in Jeddah before he became vice president, and that they still maintain "cordial relations." Singh confirms that Goins had taken his concerns to an FBI agent, and arranges to speak with that agent.
- May 30, 2002. Agent Robert Wright of the Chicago FBI holds a press conference on the steps of the Capital and bursts into tears apologizing to the 9/11 families. Wright says his ten-year investigation into terrorism financing by Yassin Al-Qadi - whom he called bin Laden's banker - had been repeatedly shut down, that he had been censured for pushing it, and that if he had been able to continue and shut down the funding to al Qaeda, 9/11 would not have happened.
- June 2002. Indira Singh is dismissed from JP Morgan.
- June 2002. FBI validates everything Singh has said about Ptech, and passes her a copy of a news segment on Ptech by Joe Bergantino of WBZ TV, a CBS affiliate in Boston, which is set to air on September 11, 2002. Toward the end of his investigation, Bergantino contacts Rita Katz of the SITE Institute to validate some information. A former colleague of Katz notifies the White House that Bergantino's program will break the Ptech story.22
- August, 2002. The White House intervenes to quash the story, and it never airs. Singh and Bergantino suspect that Jeff Goins, a Ptech vendor, makes a deal with Osama Ziade around this time. Goins handles an active White House account with Ptech, and he, too, alerts the WH about the story. Singh learns that the WH prevented several other journalists from going ahead with the Ptech story, including ABC's Brian Ross and John Miller,23 and NBC's Lisa Myers.24 Singh writes an Advisory Report on Ptech and, acting on information from Jeff Goins, she advises GHWB in that report that there is a related threat on President GWB's life.
- September 2002. Singh delivers her report to GHWB. The persons of interest at Ptech remove their files and leave.
- November 2002. Still no raid. Singh threatens to send her report to ten Chief Intelligence Officers per month until something is done (i.e., until Ptech is raided). She begins by personally bringing the Ptech story to Charlie Lewis, a Chief Technology Architect for Air Products and Chemicals (a powerful company which had earned over 5.7 billion dollars in sales during 2000); to the CIO of Gartner (a major enterprise architecture / IT firm); to the CIO of the U.S. Department of Defense; and to John Osterholz, DOD Director of Architecture and Interoperability.
- December 6, 2002. Ptech is raided by Operation Greenquest, but the White House announces that Ptech is clean - on the very day of the raid: "The material has been reviewed by the appropriate government agencies, and they have detected absolutely nothing in their reports to the White House that would lead to any concern about any of the products purchased from (Ptech)."
- April 2003. Singh is debriefed at the National Threat Assessment Center (CERT).
From Wall Street to the Wilderness
Early in the game, as the shady background of Ptech began to emerge, Indira Singh came to a point of decision. Should she go forward with Ptech's product, or reject the company? Were the allegations about Ptech serious, or were they disinformation from competitors engaged in commerce interference? She sought out the FBI agent to whom Jeff Goins had spoken. He sent her a video documentary produced by Joe Bergantino for WBZ TV, a CBS affiliate in Boston, about an Islamist charity called CARE International.
"The people in the video that the FBI were looking for right after 9/11 were Ptech employees: Muhammed Mubayyid and Suheil Laher, who had also worked for CARE International. But this was not the Care International everyone knows. This CARE listed its corporate office in the same suite as Al Khifah's Boston office25 - whose more famous location was the Al-Khifah Refugee Centre in Brooklyn's Atlantic Avenue, where mujaheddin recruits were processed for the CIA's Afghani "Operation Cyclone." It was later named as the locus of the 1993 conspiracy to bomb the World Trade Center.26 Muhammed Mubayyid, a Ptech employee and former treasurer of CARE, has donated money to Al Khifah's Brooklyn office.
Recall the notorious intransigence of the FBI in the 1993 WTC case - using Egyptian informant Emad Salem, the Bureau had successfully infiltrated the terrorist cell responsible for the bombing and secretly recorded myriad hours of the cell's planning discussions. It has never given a satisfactory account of its failure to act on that abundant advance information. As documented in Crossing The Rubicon, the same deeply disturbing obstructionism pervades the behavior of middle and high officials in the FBI's before and after 9/11/01.
This is the same FBI.
Indira took Joe Bergantino's video report down to Virginia and interviewed Ptech employees herself. Having confirmed fears, she demanded the FBI agent who gave her Bergantino's report re-open an investigation into Ptech. He said he couldn't. She told him to tell his supervisor. He already had, and was told there was nothing they could do. The FBI was one of Ptech's clients.
Her next stop was Mark Coughlin, the Chief Information Officer (CIO) at JP Morgan Chase. His particular position equipped him to understand the kind of damage the firm might suffer if it were to adopt a malicious program with Ptech's computational power. Moved and alarmed, Coughlin called Security, the General Auditor, and the CEO.
They contacted the FBI - at a very high level - who validated all of Indira Singh's claims about Ptech.
Coughlin was shaken. He sent her to William Moran, the General Auditor, who refused to meet with her until she had been debriefed by his security people. "They treated me like I was crazy, like I was the terrorist." And when the meeting finally happened, it was an Orwellian horror show. He asked where she had gotten her information, and as she named her individual sources Moran answered each name the same way, over and over: "That person should be killed... that person should be killed… that person should be killed."27
Hateful words, motivated by a terrible fear of the truth.
CODA: Knowledge is Power
The computational power of the Ptech evolution of PROMIS software represents of a daunting new surveillance-and-intervention capability in the hands of the same elites who planned 9/11, prosecute the subsequent resource wars, and are presiding over what may become a full economic and military disaster for the resource-consuming citizens of America and the world. Since the "War On Terror" and this coming dollar / natural gas collapse will necessitate new levels of domestic repression, this is just the capability those elites require. Ptech is Total Information Awareness.
It combines datamining, artificial intelligence, and "interoperability," the capacity for one program to read, operate, and modify the source codes of other programs. Datamining is a technique for detecting and extracting meaningful patterns hidden within vast quantities of apparently meaningless data. Applications include policing and case management (where PROMIS -- Prosecutor's Management Information System began), aviation (Mitre), banking and risk management (JP Morgan), enterprise architecture and knowledge management (Popkin), the gathering and sifting of political and industrial intelligence information (FBI, RCMP, et al.), and a wide range of military applications (NORAD, Navy, etc.).
Programs based on datamining are powerful analytical tools; finding meaningful patterns in an ocean of information is very useful. But when such a tool is driven by a high-caliber artificial intelligence core, its power gets spooky. The datamining capability becomes a smart search tool of the AI program, and the system begins to learn.
In recent decades, great strides have been made by the mutually fertile disciplines of mathematics, computer science, and neuroscience. Among the results has been a new discipline called cognitive neuroscience, which constitutes a powerful new understanding of the way the human brain works (see Churchland, Gazzaniga, etc.) While this has illuminated some very fundamental and grand issues of philosophy, it also has applications so practical that they have reshaped our world. "Neural Network" programming is modeled on the computational techniques used by the human brain - an electrochemical computer that uses neurons instead of semiconductors; the firing or non-firing of neurons instead of ones and zeros.
With neural networking, software has become much smarter than it had been. Now it can perform multiple, related operations at the same time through parallel processing; now it can learn from setbacks, and use genetic algorithms to evolve its way out of limitations. Now it can respond to more kinds of data from the electronic environment, including "fuzzy" values that don't come in discreet numerical packages. This kind of computational power supports an inference engine that can digest the mined data into results that are not only descriptive of the system's present state but predictive for imminent and, to some degree, even middle-term outcomes. That's why the same family of programs that does enterprise architecture, which is descriptive (and prescriptive if you take its descriptions as a mandate for cutting costs by firing people - "process management"), comes to include risk management software, which is predictive of the future. It extrapolates from current trends in a more than quantitative way.
Conventional electronic surveillance finds patterns in the data of other instruments; Ptech's Framework can exploit the patterns it detects and extrapolate future probabilities. Then it can integrate itself with the computers from which it's getting the information and intervene in their functioning. The result is a tool for surveillance and intervention. The program can identify suspect streams of cash in a banking network and allow a bank officer to freeze the suspect assets. Of course, a user could direct the same program to prevent detection. It can discover salient anomalies in a person's movements through a city and either flag those anomalies for further scrutiny, or erase them from the record. And it can find errant flights in an air traffic map and initiate an intercept response. Or not.
Additional Reading on PROMIS and Its Evolutions:
1 Crossing the Rubicon, p. 444 (quoting from Air War Over America, p. 59): "Could Deskins and her colleagues have been confused by one of the radar injects left in place by the maestro? A subsequent statement by General Arnold suggests that at least some of the exercises continued to run well into the attacks. United Airlines Flight 175 crashed into the South Tower of the World Trade Center at 9:03 AM with 65 people aboard. Two 767s were gone, and it was anyone's guess what might happen next. "I thought it might be prudent to pull out of the exercise [Vigilant Guardian] which we did." Arnold says. "We called NORAD, and they were well aware of what had happened obviously. … As we pulled out of the exercise we were getting calls about United Flight 93 and we were worried about that." Here Arnold states that Vigilant Guardian was not terminated until about the same time that the first reports of Flight 93's hijacking, which we have already established occurred at around 9:16 or 54 minutes after it had been known that Flight 11 was a hijack. Why did it take so long?"
What this all means is that, according to all official accounts, we have the exercises called off by 9:16 - well before 9:25 when "Phantom Flight 11" comes on the scene [-MK].
2 Glenn R. Simpson, "U.S. Tries to Tie Maze of Firms, Charities Based in Herndon Into a Global Network: Bin Laden's 'Golden Chain'" The Wall Street Journal, June 21, 2004 ; Page A1.
3 FTW interview with Indira Singh. She worked for Peter Cerenita & Mark Coughlin under Martha Gallo on the Morgan side of the newly merged organization. For Gallo, see: http://www.infoworld.com/articles/fe/xml/01/11/26/011126fejp.html.
5 See FTW, May 16, 2002, "The Lie Won't Stand," by Michael C. Ruppert. http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/051602_liewontstand.html
"To quote 60 Minutes from Sept. 19,'Sources tell CBS News that the afternoon before the attack, alarm bells were sounding over unusual trading in the U.S. stock options market.'" Those "alarm bells" were part of this software. The irony of ultra-sophisticated software is that whatever it is equipped to protect, it is also equipped to sabotage; everything depends on the intentions of the user. Note that one of the earliest and most potent articles on 9/11 insider trading was the September 19, 2001 "Black Tuesday: The World's Largest Insider Trading Scam?" by Don Radlauer, a consultant at the International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorism in Herzliya, Israel. http://www.ict.org.il/.
6 National Commission On Terrorist Attacks Upon The United States. Public Hearing
Wednesday, July 9, 2003. 253 Russell Senate Office Building, Washington, DC
Panel 1: Terrorism, Al Qaeda, And The Muslim World. Testimony of Dr. Mamoun Fandy: "Prince Nayef of Saudi Arabia finally admitted that the Muslim Brotherhood is the mother of all problems in the Arab world. And Saudi Arabia hosted the Muslim Brotherhood during the Arab Cold War that was between Nasser and King Faisal in the '70s. And, in fact, the Muslim Brotherhood, one can argue that they hijacked the total educational Saudi system and turned it around to produce what we know as al Qaeda. The Muslim Brotherhood was the first Islamic organization with global reach, in fact. With its headquarters now next to CENTCOM in Qatar, under Sheikh Qaradawi, practically the Muslim Brotherhood has global reach. It has offices in Germany. It has offices in Virginia next door. It has offices in Yemen and other places. So unless we really consider the Muslim Brotherhood as part of that larger network, we fail to understand this whole organization. The Muslim Brotherhood is responsible for the civil war in Algeria, responsible for its civil war in Yemen, and responsible for the current situation that we see in Egypt and in Saudi Arabia."
7 See Marc Erikson, "Islamism, fascism and terrorism (Part 2 of 3)," Asia Times, November 5, 2002: "During the 1936-39 Arab Revolt, Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, head of German military intelligence, sent agents and money to support the Palestine uprising against the British, as did Muslim Brotherhood founder and "supreme guide" Hassan al-Banna. A key individual in the fascist-Islamist nexus and go-between for the Nazis and al-Banna became the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin el-Husseini - incidentally the later mentor (from 1946 onward) of a young firebrand by the name of Yasser Arafat.
"Having fled from Palestine to Iraq, el-Husseini assisted there in the short-lived April 1941 Nazi-inspired and financed anti-British coup. By June 1941, British forces had reasserted control in Baghdad and the mufti was on the run again, this time via Tehran and Rome to Berlin, to a hero's welcome. He remained in Germany as an honored guest and valuable intelligence and propaganda asset through most of the war, met with Hitler on several occasions, and personally recruited leading members of the Bosnian-Muslim "Hanjar" (saber) division of the Waffen SS.
"Another valued World War II Nazi collaborator was Youssef Nada, current board chairman of al-Taqwa (Nada Management), the Lugano, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, and Bahamas-based financial services outfit accused by the US Treasury Department of money laundering for and financing of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda."
For links between Ptech's board member Yassin al Qadi, Soliman Biheiri, and al Taqwa / Nada, see Glenn R. Simpson, "U.S. Tries to Tie Maze of Firms, Charities Based in Herndon Into a Global Network; Bin Laden's 'Golden Chain,' Wall Street Journal, June 21, 2004.
http://www.hatefreeamerica.com/062104.htm; John Loftus, "The Muslim Brotherhood, Nazis and Al-Qaeda," Jewish Community News, October 4, 2004: http://frontpagemag.com/articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=15344; Marc Perelman,
"Terror Fund Trail Leads To Alpine Kingdom," Forward, October 17, 2003:
8 "For excellent published works on the CIA/Nazi connection read: Trading With The Enemy by Charles Higham; The Secret War Against the Jews by Loftus and Arrons; Blowback by Christopher Simpson." From Robert Lederman, "CIA Admits Nazi Connection," September 23, 2000: http://emperors-clothes.com/analysis/cia-.htm.
9 John Buchanan and Stacey Michael, "Bush - Nazi Dealings Continued Until 1951 - Federal Documents," The New Hampshire Gazette Vol. 248, No. 3, November 7, 2003: "After the seizures in late 1942 of five U.S. enterprises he managed on behalf of Nazi industrialist Fritz Thyssen, Prescott Bush, the grandfather of President George W. Bush, failed to divest himself of more than a dozen "enemy national" relationships that continued until as late as 1951, newly-discovered U.S. government documents reveal.
Furthermore, the records show that Bush and his colleagues routinely attempted to conceal their activities from government investigators.
Bush's partners in the secret web of Thyssen-controlled ventures included former New York Governor W. Averell Harriman and his younger brother, E. Roland Harriman. Their quarter-century of Nazi financial transactions, from 1924-1951, were conducted by the New York private banking firm, Brown Brothers Harriman.
The White House did not return phone calls seeking comment.
Although the additional seizures under the Trading with the Enemy Act did not take place until after the war, documents from The National Archives and Library of Congress confirm that Bush and his partners continued their Nazi dealings unabated."
10 Stephen Schwartz, "Wahhabis in the Old Dominion: What the federal raids in Northern Virginia uncovered," Weekly Standard 04/08/2002, Volume 007, Issue 29
[EXCERPT: ] The keystone of the Saudi-sponsored Northern Virginia network is the Saar Foundation, created by Suleiman Abdul Al-Aziz al-Rajhi, a scion of one of the richest Saudi families. The Saar Foundation is connected to Al-Taqwa, a shell company formerly based in Switzerland, where its leading figures included a notorious neo-Nazi and Islamist, Ahmed Huber. Subsequently moved to the United States, Al-Taqwa was shut down after September 11 and its assets frozen by U.S. presidential order. But operations continued, as the Wahhabi lobby shifted to its backup institutions here.
Saar has also been linked to Khalid bin Mahfouz, former lead financial adviser to the Saudi royal family and ex-head of the National Commercial Bank of Saudi Arabia. Mahfouz has been named by French intelligence as a backer of Osama bin Laden; Mahfouz endowed the Muwafaq Foundation, which U.S. authorities confirm was an arm of bin Laden's terror organization. Muwafaq's former chief, Yassin al-Qadi, oversaw the financial penetration of Bosnia-Herzegovina and Albania by Wahhabi terrorists in the late 1990s.
A major personality on the ground in Virginia is an individual named Jamal Barzinji, whose office in Herndon was a major target of the raids. In 1980, he was listed in local public records as a representative of the World Assembly of Muslim Youth (WAMY), an arm of the Saudi regime with offices in Virginia. WAMY has been deeply involved in providing cover for Wahhabi terrorism. The 2002 entry in the U.S. Business Directory lists the president of the WAMY office in Annandale, Va., as Abdula bin Laden--the terrorist's younger brother.
Barzinji serves as a trustee and officer of the Amana Mutual Funds Trust, a growth and income mutual fund headquartered in Bellingham, Wash., conveniently near the Canadian border. Amana's board also includes Yaqub Mirza, a Pakistani physicist who shares Barzinji's Herndon office address and who is widely described as a financial genius. Another board member and tenant in the Herndon office is Samir Salah. He formerly ran a branch of Al-Taqwa in the Caribbean, heads a financial firm linked to Saar, and directs Dar al-Hijra, a mosque in Falls Church, Va., notable for hardline Wahhabi preaching. Salah is also deeply involved with Taibah International Aid Association, a Virginia charity with a Bosnian branch that is being investigated by authorities in Sarajevo.
11 "Another exhibit from the defense motion is an affidavit filed by Edwin Angeles, a founder of Abu Sayyaf, a Filipino terrorist group. Angeles, who was assassinated by former comrades, wrote in 1996 that he was at a 1991 meeting in Davao City, attended by Yousef, Murad and Nichols, at which, they discussed 'bombing activities, providing firearms and ammo' to terrorists and 'training in bomb making and handling' of explosives. Nichols, he claimed, was introduced to him as 'the farmer.'"
12 For a definition of and information about inference engines, see:
13 For DARPA's letter of appreciation to ICH, see:
14 For In-Q-Tel, see Rick E. Yannuzzi, "In-Q-Tel: A New Partnership Between the CIA and the Private Sector," Defense Intelligence Journal, Volume 9 Number 1 Winter 2000. "Yannuzzi was Senior Deputy National Intelligence Officer for Strategic and Nuclear Programs in the National Intelligence Council (NIC). He previously was a member of the CIA's Enterprise - i.e., In-Q-Tel - Start-Up Team and served as its first Director of Business Operations. Mr. Yannuzzi also served as the DCI's Executive Secretary [and] DCI Representative to the White House Science Office." http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/inqtel/#top.
15 "As for the Bush connection, there is Ashcroft. I [Jeffrey Sharlet] discovered in their archives a correspondence between Ashcroft and Coe that began in 1981." Anthony Lappé, Guerrilla News Network, "Meet 'The Family'," June 13, 2003.
16 "Senators Don Nickles (R., Okla.), Charles Grassley (R., Iowa), Pete Domenici (R., N.Mex.), John Ensign (R., Nev.), James Inhofe (R., Okla.), Bill Nelson (D., Fla.), and Conrad Burns (R., Mont.) are referred to as "members," as are Representatives Jim DeMint (R., S.C.), Frank Wolf (R., Va.), Joseph Pitts (R., Pa.), Zach Wamp (R., Tenn.), and Bart Stupak (D., Mich.). Regular prayer groups have met in the Pentagon and at the Department of Defense, and the Family has traditionally fostered strong ties with businessmen in the oil and aerospace industries." Jeffrey Sharlet, "Jesus Plus Nothing," Harper's Magazine, March 2003.
17 "The Fellowship is now trying to take over government boards in my county of Arlington, VA and are making a major power play in Annapolis, MD. Tom Feeney, Ashcroft, DeLay, Bush (Dubya and Jeb), Cheney, Sean O'Keefe, Condi Rice, John Bolton, Ed Meese, [Charles] Colson, Brownback, Ralph Reed, Frank Wolf, Ernie Fletcher, Katherine Harris, [Newt] Gingrich, JC Watts, Burr, Jindal, Lamar Smith, Zach Wamp, Scalia, Ensign, Kyl, [Kenneth]Blackwell, Bob Ehrlich, Karl Rove, Jack Kemp, James Baker, Clarence Thomas, Tom Coburn, Asa and Tim Hutchinson, Gens. Boykin and Myers, DeMint, Curt Weldon, Grover Norquist, George Allen, [Rick] Santorum, are all in this group. The late Lee Atwater was close to this group.
"The Fellowship, which has strong links to the "Rev." Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church, operates in cells and not only takes over governments but also local church congregations to further their goals. Two local congegations taken over by the Fellowship are Falls Church Episcopal and Cherrydale Baptist. They also maintain the private Riverdell School, another way to brainwash young children who are not already being brainwashed by home schooling.
"The Prime Minister of Norway has just been outed as a member of this group. In fact, most of the so-called "Coalition of the Willing" nations' leaders are members of The Fellowship, e.g., Tonga, Macedonia, Palau, Netherlands, Bulgaria, Lithuania, Solomon Islands, Uganda, Rwanda, Guatemala, El Salvador, Denmark, Romania, Iceland, Fiji, Georgia, Colombia, possibly also Howard of Australia and Blair of Britain." http://jamboi.dailykos.com/story/2004/12/31/175217/25
19 See Dan Verton, "Feds turn up heat on IT sector links to al-Qaeda," in New Zealand's Unlimited business news magazine (9 December, 2002). "Senior counterintelligence officials familiar with the case said the U.S. Customs Service initiated the investigation of Ptech after a disgruntled employee tipped off the agency to the company's alleged hidden ownership. As a result, Customs and the FBI began investigating Yacub Mirza, a former member of Ptech's board of directors who also manages a number of other businesses in the U.S. 'Mirza was acting on behalf of Yassin Qadi, the Saudi financier who was on the U.S. [terrorism] watch list and whose accounts here are frozen,' said Vince Cannistraro, the former chief of counterterrorism at the CIA. 'Qadi is the guy behind Ptech.'" http://unlimited.co.nz/unlimited.nsf/0/496994074071EE0FCC256C890078E951?OpenDocument.
See Mirza investigation at: http://www.sptimes.com/2002/03/21/news_pf/Worldandnation/Terror_raid_warrant_n.shtml.
See also: David Lytel, "The War at Home: Federal Law Enforcement Officials Follow International Terrorism's Money Trail from Northern Virginia to Saudi Arabia, but President Bush Says That's Far Enough." http://www.john-loftus.com/saudis.asp#enough
20 Youssef Nada is "an Egyptian exile based in Switzerland who has served for decades as the longtime foreign liaison of the Muslim Brotherhood." From Glenn R. Simpson, "U.S. Tries to Tie Maze of Firms, Charities Based in Herndon Into a Global Network; Bin Laden's 'Golden Chain,' Wall Street Journal, June 21, 2004.
21 DAMA International Symposium and Wilshire Meta-Data Conference in San Antonio. http://wilshireconferences.com/MD2002/index.htm.
22 Search for International Terrorist Entities is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides information related to terrorist networks to the government, news media, and general public. http://www.siteinstitute.org/
24 Myers' retreat from the story is summed up here: "NEVER MIND… Remember the Massachusetts software company which the feds raided in search of terrorist ties? NBC's Lisa Myers found that Ptech's suspicious Saudi backer Yassin al-Qadi 'sold his interest at least three years ago' and then offered $500,000 to Bush's 2000 Presidential campaign. The GOP rejected al-Qadi 'because it is illegal to take contributions from foreigners.'" January 11, 2003:
25 "Software firm mired in terrorism probe," Associated Press, January 5, 2003 http://www.seacoastonline.com/2003news/01052003/biz_nati/6299.htm
26 "U.S. probes terror ties to Boston software firm," by Jerry Guidera and Glenn R. Simpson, Wall St. Journal, December 6, 2002 http://www.centerforsecuritypolicy.org/index.jsp?section=static&page=ptech
27 Dan Hopsicker interview with Indira, "Conspiracy Tonight" online TV program at www.madcowprod.com
This function has been disabled.